Hasim Rahman ("The Rock")- How do you rate him?

Hasim Rahman ("The Rock")- How do you rate him?

Will69
How do you guys rate The Rock?  My thoughts on the guy is he is on the lower end of great.  He outboxed Tua twice by a comfortable margin (despite how the judges called it), and could really bang when he had his game on.  He lost a split decision with Holyfield on an injury (from headbutts), but he proved he could go toe-to-toe with the greats.  However, The Rock also had a bit of the Holyfield syndrome: Some fights he performed quite well.  Others he struggled.

Re: Hasim Rahman ("The Rock")- How do you rate him?

I like Rahman. But to be honest I think of him as an average fighter with a huge heart at times. I've always said that the punch he destroyed Lewis with would have knocked out many other former heavyweight champions as well. It was the perfect punch; and Lewis bounced right into it.

But like I implied earlier; I'll say he was an average fighter. He looked great against Tua, but that's because Tua looked so bad. Tua never learned how to evade a jab or counter-punch. As a result, Rahman had a real easy time with Tua, and it made him look almost as good as Joe Louis.

Outside of a lucky punch, No way does Rahman beat an ATG in my opinion. But I'd love to see him clash with someone like Floyd Patterson, Max Baer, Jim Braddock, Primo Carnera, Ray Mercer, Shannon Briggs, Bert Cooper, Michael Moorer, etc. He may or may not have a chance against them.

Re: Hasim Rahman ("The Rock")- How do you rate him?

Urban Legend
I agree largely with Duggerman. Rahman is nothing special but very capable. Don't have an off night against him or he may surprise you, as he did Lennox Lewis in South Africa.

Duggerman wrote

Good matchups. Some of them he would beat, others he wouldn't. All of these guys are in a similar class; they're not at the ATG level but don't get lazy or careless and you'll get hurt.

Re: Hasim Rahman ("The Rock")- How do you rate him?

Will69
Duggerman wrote
... But I'd love to see him clash with someone like Floyd Patterson, Max Baer, Jim Braddock, Primo Carnera, Ray Mercer, Shannon Briggs, Bert Cooper, Michael Moorer, etc. He may or may not have a chance against them. ...Good matchups. Some of them he would beat, others he wouldn't. All of these guys are in a similar class; they're not at the ATG level but don't get lazy or careless and you'll get hurt.
I agree exactly that. He is in the same general category as Mercer, Briggs, Morrison, etc... I would only add that he can stand above this group on occasion, but generally, he is in that ball park.

Re: Hasim Rahman ("The Rock")- How do you rate him?

Phantom Punch
Rahman versus Morrison would have been a good one.

Regarding Rahman's battle with Holyfield, though. Evander was far past his prime and has always been a patient thinking fighter. Rahman only looked decent because Evander was older and taking his time looking for openings. Even so, he was losing on the scorecards. But Evander let him stay in the fight.

Re: Hasim Rahman ("The Rock")- How do you rate him?

Will69
Holyfield was past his best, but so was Rahman.  Is there a reason there was no rematch?  I would have loved to seen that.

Re: Hasim Rahman ("The Rock")- How do you rate him?

Friday The 13th...
Rahman deserves to be in the top 30. Why? He is a two-time heavyweight champion. He wasn't a good heavyweight champion, blasting Lennox with a lucky (but thunderous punch) but losing the title back to him immedieatly in a rematch. Then he became a paper champion when Vitali retired.

He was never great, but he has his legacy. You gotta give him that.

Re: Hasim Rahman ("The Rock")- How do you rate him?

Zorro
I'll never forget his title-winning celebration over Lennox Lewis. He was happy to boast. Then when he dropped the belt right back to him, he still gave Lennox no credit.

I'm not a fan, but he was involved in some of boxing's biggest moments over the past 17 years or so.

Re: Hasim Rahman ("The Rock")- How do you rate him?

Zorro wrote
I'll never forget his title-winning celebration over Lennox Lewis.
It was a ghetto-fabulous, of course. lol. Rahman has a lot of charisma. He's a great trash talker. He's one of the few guys to get under the skin of Lennox Lewis. Lewis is generally so calm, cool and collected. But The Rock is one of the few opponents of his to personally fuel his fire.

Re: Hasim Rahman ("The Rock")- How do you rate him?

It's Dale
Friday The 13th... wrote
Rahman deserves to be in the top 30. Why? He is a two-time heavyweight champion. He wasn't a good heavyweight champion, blasting Lennox with a lucky (but thunderous punch) but losing the title back to him immedieatly in a rematch. Then he became a paper champion when Vitali retired.

He was never great, but he has his legacy. You gotta give him that.
He should be a footnote. He caught Lewis sleeping, and then became paper champion when Vitali briefly retired. I'll take a pass on Rahman.

Re: Hasim Rahman ("The Rock")- How do you rate him?

Joe Kingman
Administrator
He's the Max Schmeling or Jack Sharkey of his era. Not a great fighter, but always capable.

-Joe Kingman

Re: Hasim Rahman ("The Rock")- How do you rate him?

Will69 wrote
Holyfield was past his best, but so was Rahman.  Is there a reason there was no rematch?  I would have loved to seen that.
Both were past prime, but Evander waaaaaaay past his best. He was almost 40 at the time. Holyfield started to slow down when he fought Vaugn Bean in '98, and was a shell of himself a year later when he got to Lennox.

Rahman may not have been as fresh as he was when he fought Lewis and Tua, but he was still much younger than Holyfield was, yet he still struggled with him.

Still, Rahman is not a guy I would ever take lightly.

As a matter of fact, he was doing moderately well against Vitali before the fight was stopped. He wasn't winning, but considering their size difference and unique styles, he was doing better than I expected him too.

Re: Hasim Rahman ("The Rock")- How do you rate him?

Will69
Anyone know why Rahman and Holyfield didn't do a rematch?  Although both were past their primes, it would have been good to see.

Re: Hasim Rahman ("The Rock")- How do you rate him?

Probably because 39 year-old Holyfield kicked 29 year-old Rahman’s butt! You’d think it would have been vice versa.

https://boxrec.com/media/index.php/Evander_Holyfield_vs._Hasim_Rahman

Re: Hasim Rahman ("The Rock")- How do you rate him?

redfeng007
This post was updated on .
I wonder what will be the final outcome of their first fight if it is never stop halfway?

Holyfield won by decision or TKO?

Holyfield kept forcing Rahman backwards during their punches exchange.

Re: Hasim Rahman ("The Rock")- How do you rate him?

Hit Em' Hard
I think  a TKO is the only eventual outcome because of Evander's headbutting. It ended the way it always would have.

I would like to see a tournament with guys like Ron Lyle, Ken Norton, Ray Mercer, Max Baer, Max Schmeling, Earnie Shavers, etc and throw Rahman in there and see how he does. He's capable to beat some of these guys but not all. It'd be interesting to see how he does. IMO he is on the level of these guys or a little lower.