Holmes VS Tyson

12

Holmes VS Tyson

Zorro
This post was updated on .
 photo tyson-holmes_2572500_GIFSoupcom_zps416d00a7.gif

Good fight. Do you think it would have ended this way if Larry had been in his prime?

Re: Holmes VS Tyson

Maximillian
Larry Holmes was a real fighter in his time. With his jab and skills, I think he would have taken Mike out. He was much better than Buster Douglas, and we saw how Douglas handled Mike. The math on this one is easy.

Re: Holmes VS Tyson

GatorPurify
This post was updated on .
I think any version of a "Prime" Mike Tyson would of taken Larry out. Cus use to teach Mike how he should fight different fighters and Holmes was a name that was mentioned. Two things that Larry does that will get him dropped. One thing is Larry drops his hands after he jabs. Another is sometimes Larry gets complacent and stands still when he should be moving. Both mistakes are an open invitation for a prime Mike. He threw deadly combinations for moments like these. This is what got Holmes dropped in this fight. Stood still with his hands stiff and Mike threw a two punch combination and that was it.

Re: Holmes VS Tyson

Agreed. Unlike Earnie Shavers and Renaldo Snipes, Tyson was a dynamite finisher and knew how to finish Larry off when he had him hurt. Like Gator said, it's well documented that Cus D'Amato had trained Tyson on how to fight Larry long before they fought.

Larry was always a sucker for right hands because he used to drop his left after jabbing. Tyson stepped in with a jab that Holmes blocked, but Larry did not see that right hand coming. That's why combination punching is so dangerous; it's impossible to see all of the punches coming.

Prime Mike Tyson=Greatest of all time.

Re: Holmes VS Tyson

Urban Legend
Duggerman wrote
Prime Mike Tyson=Greatest of all time.
I don't know about that, but I do think he knocks out prime Larry.

Re: Holmes VS Tyson

Shane
I think Tyson would have had trouble with Larry in his prime. Larry's jab and movement would have been tough to overcome. Tyson had problems with much taller men sometimes, and Larry had the chin to take his punches if he got caught. Hell, it took prime Tyson three knockdowns to finally put Larry out for good.

Re: Holmes VS Tyson

Redemption wrote
 Tyson had problems with much taller men sometimes,
I disagree. The crouching swarmers like Frazier, Tyson, Dempsey, etc made their reputations for destroying much bigger men. I see Tyson wrecking Holmes just as Frazier would. Larry said in 2009 that Marciano would have given him trouble because he keeps coming and throws punches from all directions. Very true. As for Jack Dempsey, it could go either way. Dempsey routinely destroyed bigger guys, but none with the skill and mobility of Larry Holmes. In addition to his explosive left hook, Dempsey also had a hard right hand, which is the punch that Holmes was the most vulnerable to.

Re: Holmes VS Tyson

Shane
Mike was easy to clinch because he looped his punches. Taller men would clinch and frustrate him if they had the ring smarts to do so. It made for boring fights but its something Mike was always suceptible to.

Re: Holmes VS Tyson

In this case, Tyson's right hand would wreck shop, just as it did in their actual fight. Holmes was always open for the overhand right.

Re: Holmes VS Tyson

Larry was very confident before his fight with Iron Mike. Here is an interview with Larry right after Tyson KO'd Tyrell Biggs. Larry is talking about how he will beat Mike Tyson. (Insert giggle here)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m861f99Nkvk

Re: Holmes VS Tyson

Rosco
Redemption wrote
I think Tyson would have had trouble with Larry in his prime. Larry's jab and movement would have been tough to overcome. Tyson had problems with much taller men sometimes, and Larry had the chin to take his punches if he got caught. Hell, it took prime Tyson three knockdowns to finally put Larry out for good.
You summed up what i was going to say. I think Tyson would always knock out Larry because Tyson had the right hand to do it and was one of the best finishers ever but it would be a hard fight against prime Larry. Larry's jab and boxing skill would keep him in there a while. He'd also tie Mike up on the inside to slow him down. Its funny that the tactics used by "old" Larry were working until he got caught.

Re: Holmes VS Tyson

Zorro
Duggerman wrote
Larry was very confident before his fight with Iron Mike. Here is an interview with Larry right after Tyson KO'd Tyrell Biggs. Larry is talking about how he will beat Mike Tyson. (Insert giggle here)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m861f99Nkvk
I forgot I started this thread.

I remember this fight and I predicted that Larry might pull it off against Mike. I remembered how well he took a punch against Earnie Shavers. His chin and experience I thought would give him an edge over Mike Tyson who was dominant but still getting seasoned. Mike didn't look so hot against Tony Tucker, Mitch Green and James Tillis. Larry was much better than all of them and I figured his jab would give the inexperienced Mike Tyson all kind of hell.

I was wrong because Larry looked scared during those early rounds. You can see the fear on his face every time Tyson loaded up. The fight was ugly as Larry was surviving and Tyson couldn't get off but Tyson stopped Larry when Larry tried to act cute and got careless. Before the fight I predicted a Larry win but before Tyson KO'd him in the 4th, I thought it was going to be another of Tyson's lackluster victories agaisnt a taller and frightened big man that he couldn't knock out.

Re: Holmes VS Tyson

Larry is still bitter about this fight. lol. "He ain't learn nuthin!!"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=37RmojZVF4c&feature=relmfu

Re: Holmes VS Tyson

BAD INTENTIONS
My brother and I mentioned the Tyson fight to Larry once and he changed the subject. smh. He hates that he suffered that humiliating loss.

I think prime Larry would beat him by edging out a close decision. Pinklon Thomas was frustrating Mike really well before Angelo Dundee ripped his glove and threw off his game. Mike had problems with big fighters that jabbed a lot, smothered him in clinches, and gave him misdirection. Thats what James "Quick" Tillis was doing. It's hard to cut the ring on a guy when you don't know which direction he's going.

Since Mike didn't do much in close, you could clinch him like Bonecrusher Smith, counter and run like Mitch Green (to avoid combination bombs), keep moving in random directions and confusing him like Quick Tillis, or keep him from getting close by blasting the jab like Pinklon Thomas or Lennox Lewis. Larry had a strong chin, the size, the footwork and the skills to handle Tyson. It would be a boring fight and a close one though.

Re: Holmes VS Tyson

49-0
^What you fail to point out is what AJ and some of the others have said earlier...Larry left himself open for right hands by dropping his left, which is how Earnie Shavers and Renaldo Snipes put him on the floor. Larry never learned from his mistakes. Larry might frustrate Mike for a few rounds but once Tyson lands its over. He was a great finisher.

Re: Holmes VS Tyson

Zorro
BAD INTENTIONS wrote
My brother and I mentioned the Tyson fight to Larry once and he changed the subject. smh. He hates that he suffered that humiliating loss.
This doesn't surprise me. Larry wishes this fight never happened. But he decided to take the money for it.

Re: Holmes VS Tyson

GatorPurify
Zorro wrote
BAD INTENTIONS wrote
My brother and I mentioned the Tyson fight to Larry once and he changed the subject. smh. He hates that he suffered that humiliating loss.
This doesn't surprise me. Larry wishes this fight never happened. But he decided to take the money for it.
Smart man. Pride can't pay your bills. Ask Buster Douglas if he's still kicking himself for not fighting Mike again and getting paid. I saw on ESPN at one point after Buster lost the belt he was living in a barn.

Larry Holmes interviews Mike Tyson

GatorPurify
I just found this. I dunno what it was for, but it's pretty funny. They are just clowning around.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c3dFi_qqe1c&feature=g-all-lik

Re: Larry Holmes interviews Mike Tyson

This post was updated on .
I'm really surprised to see this. Larry always seemed a bit bitter about Tyson ever since this happened...

 photo tyson-holmes_2572500_GIFSoupcom_zps416d00a7.gif

But then again, they've both mellowed a lot in recent years. Glad they could joke about it. "Why'd you hit me so hard, Mike?" lol.

Re: Larry Holmes interviews Mike Tyson

GatorPurify
Duggerman wrote
I'm really surprised to see this. Larry always seemed a bit bitter about Tyson ever since this happened...

But then again, they've both mellowed a lot in recent years. Glad they could joke about it. "Why'd you hit me so hard, Mike?" lol.
I thought the same thing. It still amazes me how Larry's one mistake of staying stationery got him caught. No one seemed to really see that coming. Larry definitely didn't see it coming.
12