Mercer or Tua....who ranks higher?

Brooklyn's Finest
Thoughts?
Who should rank higher?

Re: Mercer or Tua....who ranks higher?

Will69
This is a hard decision for me because I like them both.  Both of them had great fights, and both stayed in the game too long and were humiliated when they got old.  If forced to chose, I would say Mercer.  His fights against Lewis, Morrison, and some others were damn good and he really showed his mettle. Tua also deserves lots of credit, but overall, Mercer was more the complete package.

Re: Mercer or Tua....who ranks higher?

This post was updated on .
Will69 wrote
This is a hard decision for me because I like them both.  Both of them had great fights, and both stayed in the game too long and were humiliated when they got old.  If forced to chose, I would say Mercer.  His fights against Lewis, Morrison, and some others were damn good and he really showed his mettle. Tua also deserves lots of credit, but overall, Mercer was more the complete package.
Agreed. I think Tua was better and would come out on top if they fought—but both could be lazy and inconsistent so you never know— Mercer actually WON a heavyweight title, even if it was one of the moderate ones. And he pushed Lewis to the brink...something Tua definitely did not do.

Based on Mercer doing better overall against top competition and actually winning a title, I think he should rank higher than Tua.

Re: Mercer or Tua....who ranks higher?

Urban Legend
They both lost their biggest fights, but Ray won a title so I say he ranks higher historically. What a shame these two never fought. Tua may have been better but Ray should rank higher.

Re: Mercer or Tua....who ranks higher?

South Pacific
Duggerman wrote
 Mercer actually WON a heavyweight title, even if it was one of the moderate ones. And he pushed Lewis to the brink...something Tua definitely did not do.

Based on Mercer doing better overall against top competition and actually winning a title, I think he should rank higher than Tua.
The belt Mercer won was not an important one. The WBO? He won it and only defended it once before they stripped him of it.

Besides, The Tuaman was overreight and suffering a rib injury when he fought Lewis. If Lewis had fought the Tua of the Ike Ibeabuchi fight, it would have been far more competitive.

Re: Mercer or Tua....who ranks higher?

Hey brother. You know I love Tua. But I won’t make excuses for him. He never utilized his potential and that’s no one’s fault but his own.

The WBO isn’t the most important belt but it’s still a heavyweight title. Tua’s name will never be listed with the other heavyweight champions of the past.

As far as the Lewis fight, you’re right that Tua gained weight and fought injured. But he said himself that he underestimated Lewis. Tua had fallen in love with his power and gotten too accustomed to knocking out low level bombs with one left hook. He’d never fought a specimen like Lewis before and had no plan B.

As it stands between Mercer and Tua, Mercer accompanied more. Not much more but he deserves to rank higher.