Norton vs. Frazier

Rosco
Why didn't they fight? And who takes it if they fought in their primes? I bet on the smoke. Norton was no slough but he had good technical skills. Still I think Frazier had too much dynamite in his gloves for Norton to survive.
who you got?

Re: Norton vs. Frazier

Rosco wrote
Why didn't they fight?
Marvis Frazier hung out with me a few weeks back. During dinner he said that Joe and Ken were friends and didn't want to fight each other. I asked him how the sparring went and he said that Norton knocked Frazier down once, but generally Frazier had the most of it.

Ken was a warrior but he wouldn't be able to handle the relentless pace and hard punch of a beast like Smokin' Joe Frazier.

See this thread for my article on Marvis and my interviews with him.

Re: Norton vs. Frazier

George Jefferson
Duggerman wrote
Marvis Frazier hung out with me a few weeks back. During dinner he said that Joe and Ken were friends and didn't want to fight each other. I asked him how the sparring went and he said that Norton knocked Frazier down once, but generally Frazier had the most of it.

See this thread for my article on Marvis and my interviews with him.
Thanks for that info, AJ. I see everyone so far has voted Frazier by knockout and that is the most likely outcome, but has anyone considered an early knockout for Norton? It took Frazier a few rounds to warm up in most fights. Frazier was down early against Oscar Bonavena, Mike Bruce, and George Foreman. Muhammad Ali, Jerry Quarry and Ron Stander each hurt Joe and staggered him in early rounds.

Ya'll can't deny that Joe was vulnerable in the early going and Norton could punch! If all of his ducks are in a row and the stars are lined up just right, Norton could knock out Joe before he starts smokin. I agree that Joe would most likely wear Norton down and knock him out. (I think it'd be similar to Joe's first fight with Jimmy Ellis) but Norton has a puncher's chance early. Furthermore he sparred with Joe and would know what was coming. Again I'm not saying Joe would lose in most scenarios but Norton has a chance.

Re: Norton vs. Frazier

You make a good point there, but it doesn't change the fact that Frazier would still take Norton into the deep waters and knock him out.

Norton had a great counter-jab. Because of that, he was much better against boxer-movers like Ali and Holmes. You neutralize their left jabs and they struggle. Against big punchers, however, Norton couldn't hang. It's a styles thing. But it's possible that Norton hurts Joe early in the fight. But I don't think he could finish him.

Re: Norton vs. Frazier

Evolution
This is one of the best fights of the '70s we never got to see, along with Foreman-Holmes, Foreman-Shavers, or Foreman-Quarry.

Like AJ explained, Ken and Joe were the best of friends and for a long time Eddie Futch was training them both.

I pick Joe by knockout in four. His body punching and left hook would be too much.

Re: Norton vs. Frazier

Will69
This would have been an awesome fight to see. Here's an article from boxing.com on why this fight never happened and how it may have went if it did:

http://www.boxing.com/frazier_vs._norton.html