R.L. Stine

I read the goosebumps books growing up, and back then, I thought that R.L. Stine was on the same level as Stephen King!! lol. Mr. Stine is smart, though. He writes for a young audience and presents it in a way that keeps youngsters intrigued. The vocabulary is simple enough, and every chapter ends with a cliffhanger. Therefore, even children with short attention spans can get hooked. My favorite writer was and will always be Christopher Andersen, but R.L. Stine has always been somewhere in the top ten, particularly because of his techniques.

I went on his website and got some neat info regarding his creative process. Here are some of his revelations in the "question and answer" section.

Q. Where do you get your story ideas? Stuff that happens to you in real life? Your dreams/nightmares? From daydreaming?

R.L. Ideas come from everywhere. But most of my ideas start with a title. I try to dream up a really good book title first. Once I have a title, it leads me to a story. By the way, I've never gotten a story idea from a dream. I have the most boring dreams!

Q. Do you ever get writer's block and if so, what do you do to get rid of it?

R. L. I never get writer's block. Mainly because I do so much work before I start to write. I do complete chapter-by-chapter outlines of every book. And I make a list of all the characters-- what they look like and their personalities. And I always figure out the ending BEFORE I start the book. That's a big head-start and keeps me from having writers block.

Q. How old were you when you knew that you wanted to be a writer?

R.L.  I was nine years old. I started typing short stories and joke books-- and I loved it! My mother begged me to go outside and play. She couldn't get me out of my room! I just kept typing away!

Q. What's your ideal writing environment?

R.L. I have a room in my apartment where I write. But I can really write anywhere I am-- I'm a machine!

Q. What are some of your favorite books and authors?

 R.L. Ray Bradbury is one of my favorite authors. I always tell people that the scariest book I ever read was one of his books-- Something Wicked This Way Comes. I read a lot. I especially like funny novel and thrillers and mysteries.

Q. When you're writing your books, do you ever scare yourself?

R.L. I've never scared myself writing, but I hope I've TERRIFIED others!!

Q. Got any advice for inspiring young writers?

R.L. Yes, write every day. Just a paragraph or two. Keep a journal or a diary. That way you'll always be writing.

Q. Which Goosebumps book was the most fun and interesting to write?

R.L. My favorite Goosebumps is one called CUCKOO CLOCK OF DOOM. I think it's a perfect funny/ scary story with a very good surprise ending. It made a good TV show, too!

Re: R.L. Stine

Michelle
Duggerman wrote
 Mr. Stine is smart, though. He writes for a young audience and presents it in a way that keeps youngsters intrigued. The vocabulary is simple enough, and every chapter ends with a cliffhanger. Therefore, even children with short attention spans can get hooked.
Right!  It was hard to keep my attention as a kid but I couldn't put down a goosebumps book for nothing. Those books were better than the crap they had us reading in school. What was your favorite goosebumps book, AJ? Mine was Night of The Living Dummy III. I also liked Cuckoo Clock of Doom and Tower Terror.

Re: R.L. Stine

Becky
Duggerman wrote
I read the goosebumps books growing up, and back then, I thought that R.L. Stine was on the same level as Stephen King!!
We were so naive as children.  Thank you for this information. He's still doing goosebumps, isn't he?

Re: R.L. Stine

I forgot about this thread. lol. My favorite goosebumps book might be My hairiest adventure, probably because of the constant suspense. Camp Nightmare and Cuckoo Clock of Doom were good ones too.