Sarah Phillips--Another case of journalism fraud

Sarah Phillips--Another case of journalism fraud

Re: Sarah Phillips--Another case of journalism fraud

Double A
Looking back at Sarah's work on ESPN's page two and Playbook, an interesting pattern can be discerned. From September 2nd through October 13, there are a large number of posts from someone using the moniker Makinguprasad. Not to hard to figure out this is likely Nilesh Prasad. Then on October 20th, someone who created an I hate Sarah J Phillips facebook page dominates the comment thread. The next week, Sarah begins responding directly to reader comments.

I think that action in the comment threads was highly important to someone. Makinguprasad tended to have rejoinders for anyone who spoke negatively of Sarah and the I hate Sarah Phillips thing seems to have been another way to generate attention, (I think it highly unlikely that someone was such a big BSU fan that they created a facebook page and then spent an inordinate amount of time one week commenting on an insignificant article). It all feels highly staged and part of an effort to engineer higher page view counts.

A couple of facts about content providers. People who make a good living writing for the web often not only pose as someone they are not, but it isn't that uncommon for them to hire others to work as ghost writers. They take on lots of projects, (more than one person could complete in a given timeframe). I guess it is quite commone for a freelancer to be hired sight unseen. I still don't think it's a good practice. Writing for ESPN usually isn't just about filling a page or generating high search engine results, (at least it shouldn't be). Still, that seemed to be Phillip's main role. Brought in as someone who knew something about sports gambling, the gig changed once page two closed up. A lot of other people on ESPN's staff could easily have produced the junk email articles. It was apparently felt that as long as she was under contract, that she should do something.

Couple of other thoughts. ESPN has many qualifed female writers on its staff .Read through Sarah's articles and find anything that resonates as being brilliant. Look through her comments and show me where the professionalism was. Compare them to other articles written by other members of ESPN's staff. See what conclusions you draw.

Sarah Phillips will ultimately go down as a prime example of the importance of perception. She appeared to have lots of twitter followers, her articles appeared to be getting lots of feedback, she seemed like a unique voice in the sporting world, appeared to be a person with legitimate ideas and goals for the future. It didn't matter what the quality was of the articles she produced, (she appeared legit and that was good enough for someone). Even the name of the column (Lies, Damn Lies and Statistics), was filched from someone. In 2006, Dave Revsine had a column on ESPN's website by this name.
I think someone at ESPN needs to look at Playbook and the people responsible for producing it and determine whether or not it is really serving the brand well. My sense is that Playbook is a big liability and that a new set of eyes, ears and ideas would be a positive thing.

Re: Sarah Phillips--Another case of journalism fraud

Evan Fields
She sounds like a complete scammer, too many suspicious occurences like using multiple twitter accounts and that some pictures appear to be lifted from other sites as well as the fact that none of her pictures seem to match whatsoever. I mean I'm no idiot and girls change their hair and makeup more about as often as the average person showers, but they still LOOK like the same person. Most of these photos look nothing alike. Seems like a scammer move to me.

Re: Sarah Phillips--Another case of journalism fraud

Katie G.
She might not be a real person? Whoa. Are the pics of her really that different?

Re: Sarah Phillips--Another case of journalism fraud

Ryan
her boyfriend Nilsand was writing those articles...she was dating him since the eightth grade and living with him...they both committed fraud and will soon face justice...both worked for t-mobile selling stolen phones together on ebay and getting fired for it...both of them should be jailed not offered jobs...
Eh....What's Up, Doc?

Re: Sarah Phillips--Another case of journalism fraud

Courtney
Bugs wrote
her boyfriend Nilsand was writing those articles...she was dating him since the eightth grade and living with him...they both committed fraud and will soon face justice...both worked for t-mobile selling stolen phones together on ebay and getting fired for it...both of them should be jailed not offered jobs...
If ESPN and Covers spoke to her over the phone and quizzed her on sports and betting and she knew her stuff then with the limited information I would come to this conclusion: She does write like a girl and she was interviewed and confirmed a female. Besides those facts, I think she is most likely a con pretending to be someone she is not. And suprisingly, tried to con a guy. Sounds like a rookie con artist in training.

http://www.covers.com/articles/articles.aspx?theArt=273085

Re: Sarah Phillips--Another case of journalism fraud

Ryan
She and her boyfriend have a history of scams. Read here.

http://deadspin.com/5907349/
Eh....What's Up, Doc?

Re: Sarah Phillips--Another case of journalism fraud

Katie G. wrote
She might not be a real person? Whoa. Are the pics of her really that different?
See for yourself..

All of the girls in that pic are "Sarah Phillips" at different times. I'm not quite sure what to believe...

Here are some of her tweets after "she" was ousted.

http://deadspin.com/5906849/sarah-phillips-admits-she-concealed-her-identity-made-poor-choices-with-who-to-trust

Re: Sarah Phillips--Another case of journalism fraud

Double A
There's been a lot of posts here since I last logged in.
It looks like Sarah and her boyfriend pulled off a bad scam here, judging by the history of it all. But the fake pics? I'm guessing they didn't want to use the real Sarah's photo much, if at all. Here is the youtube video Sarah posted last month about Lebron James. This is the real Sarah Phillips. She said it was really her in the twitter apologies.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=92Km1hOIYeM

Some people are concerned over how this affects online journalism. This was a good read.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1168699-sarah-phillips-scandal-raises-new-concerns-for-online-journalism

This article here answers everything you wanna know about the scandal and it makes the most sense.

http://deadspin.com/sarah-phillips-espn/

Re: Sarah Phillips--Another case of journalism fraud

Evan Fields
Double-A wrote

That is one sexy ass broad. Damn. Her channel doesn't have any more of her videos.

Re: Sarah Phillips--Another case of journalism fraud

Double A
The Gr8 One wrote
That is one sexy ass broad. Damn. Her channel doesn't have any more of her videos.
She closed her youtube account. Someone reuploaded her video. Her twitter is still up but idle.

Re: Sarah Phillips--Another case of journalism fraud

Katie G.
This is one confusing mess.

Re: Sarah Phillips--Another case of journalism fraud

Becky
Katie G. wrote
This is one confusing mess.
Not really. This link explains everything. A couple decided to scam people out of money is all.

Double-A wrote
This article here answers everything you wanna know about the scandal and it makes the most sense.

http://deadspin.com/sarah-phillips-espn/

Re: Sarah Phillips--Another case of journalism fraud

49-0
People who scam find a way to do anything.

Re: Sarah Phillips--Another case of journalism fraud

It's Dale
Administrator
49-0 wrote
People who scam find a way to do anything.
They do. I can't believe this kind of thing still happens in journalism. I remember the Janet Cooke and Stephen Glass scandals. Today I think it might be easier to fool people, as Sarah Phillips just proved.