Teddy Atlas

I feel that we'd benefit from a Teddy Atlas thread.

Here are some good recent videos from his podcast that I found interesting.

In this video he talks about Deontay Wilder's punching power and how it compares to Tyson, Foreman, Marciano, etc.

In this clip, he talks about the "delivery system" that Wilder has borrowed from other legendary punchers to knock guys out. It's quite interesting.

Re: Teddy Atlas

Will69
Very informative! it makes perfect sense to throw a "fake" jab and follow that up lightening quick with a heavy right.  Didn't Rocky do that against Walcott (1st fight)?

Re: Teddy Atlas

Will69 wrote
Very informative! it makes perfect sense to throw a "fake" jab and follow that up lightening quick with a heavy right.  Didn't Rocky do that against Walcott (1st fight)?
Exactly! And Foreman did something similar when he knocked out Moorer.

Re: Teddy Atlas

Will69
I have to admit, my respect for Teddy Atlas has grown over the past few years.   For a long time, I thought he was one of the many Tyson hanger-ons who tried to make a name for himself by associating himself to the rise of Tyson.  I thought he tried hard to paint himself as a hero in Tyson's documentary ("Tyson" by James Toback, 2009).

However, in every interview, he's got interesting stuff to say. Props to Teddy -this guy knows a lot.

Re: Teddy Atlas

He definitely held a grudge against Tyson for years and years....always rooting against him and always having something negative to say. I noticed that his "Tyson bashing" has been reduced a lot since Tyson apologized to him a few years ago.

Tyson knew all along that Tyson was mentally weak. But he just picked the wrong guy to expose it. He predicted Michael Spinks would beat Tyson. But it wound up being Buster Douglas, which shocked us all.

I interviewed Shannon Briggs a while back and he mentioned how Teddy was a tough disciplinarian. That's one of the reasons people never last too long with him as a trainer.

Re: Teddy Atlas

Evan Fields
Duggerman wrote
He definitely held a grudge against Tyson for years and years....always rooting against him and always having something negative to say. I noticed that his "Tyson bashing" has been reduced a lot since Tyson apologized to him a few years ago.

Tyson knew all along that Tyson was mentally weak. But he just picked the wrong guy to expose it. He predicted Michael Spinks would beat Tyson. But it wound up being Buster Douglas, which shocked us all.

I interviewed Shannon Briggs a while back and he mentioned how Teddy was a tough disciplinarian. That's one of the reasons people never last too long with him as a trainer.
Yeah I always thought he hated Mike Tyson. I mean, what Mike tried with his niece was foul, but that was in the early 1980s!! And Tyson has been punished numerous times since then. He's a depressed man, served a prison sentence and absolutely got his a$$ whooped by Douglas, Holyfield and Lewis. I'd say Teddy and Mike are more than even by now. Time to let that go.

Re: Teddy Atlas

MAGUIRE
Funny story. Teddy said in this interview that when Tyson was just starting out people thought he was Sonny Liston's nephew.

https://youtu.be/HWAO0Fokjes
 photo lennox-hair_3476731_GIFSoupcom_zps919d29c7.gif

Re: Teddy Atlas

49-0
MAGUIRE wrote
Funny story. Teddy said in this interview that when Tyson was just starting out people thought he was Sonny Liston's nephew.

https://youtu.be/HWAO0Fokjes
That’s a good one. Tyson was certainly big enough and more than scary enough

Re: Teddy Atlas

Urban Legend
Teddy even downtalks Tyson during his commentary on the Fight Night games. I think Teddy was upset that Tyson went on and had all that success. Tyson was doing bad things and Cus was letting him get away with it. Teddy gets fired, Mike becomes sensational, and Teddy struggles like hell to train a champion of his own. Shannon Briggs dumped Teddy before he won the title, but Teddy finally guided someone to the title when Michael Moorer won it.

I can understand Teddy’s anger at Tyson. Things were unfair from Teddy’s perspective but he let his personal problems with Tyson bleed over into his professionalism. He was ALWAYS rooting against him, even picking MICHAEL SPINKS to beat him. He was that desperate for Tyson to lose.

Re: Teddy Atlas

Will69
Yeah, I didn't really like Teddy for pulling a gun on Mike, when there was no imminent danger.  That can be interpreted as  a threat to murder or something  as serious.  And I also got the feeling Teddy down played Mike's success every chance he got.  Mike became a superstar and Teddy stayed an unknown for long, long time.  It sounds like now everyone's cool with each other though.

Re: Teddy Atlas

Friday The 13th...
Michael Jai White portrayed  Tyson in the 1995 HBO movie. And he did a stellar job! Great film. It’s on YouTube.

But Michael says that one of the few inaccuracies in the film was that Mike was scared and cried when Teddy Aimee the gun at him. Michael talked to Teddy about it and told Vlad TV in this clip how Tyson REALLY reacted to the gun

https://youtu.be/cXCPv5zEcXw