The Michael Jackson influence on Justin Timberlake (Justified)

The Michael Jackson influence on Justin Timberlake (Justified)

This post was updated on .

I wrote this blog about how MJ's falsetto and overall style heavily influenced Justin's first album, Justified. I have a soft spot for that album to this day, particularly because it was such a modern throwback to the MJ sound back then. Justin shamelessly copied Michael, from the falsetto to the fedora to the dance moves. I go into much more detail at the link.

http://www.ajdugger.net/blog/justifying-off-the-wall

Re: The Michael Jackson influence on Justin Timberlake (Justified)

~Sasha
I remember this well. To be fair to Justin though, All artists in this generation copy Michael to some degree or another . But I think The Weeknd and Jason Malachi are bigger copycats than Justin ever was.

Re: The Michael Jackson influence on Justin Timberlake (Justified)

~Dirty Diana
Administrator
Oh Jason Malachi is absolutely the worst. You'd swear you were really listening to Michael.

Re: The Michael Jackson influence on Justin Timberlake (Justified)

Sunflower_7494
OMG I used to LOVE Justin Timberlake. I had the HUGEST crush on him. It broke my heart when he dated Britney, but she broke his heart so he got what he deserved there. He should have been with me!

I didn't catch the Michael Jackson references until much later. I was young. I didn't know much about Michael Jackson aside from him being a pedo and a freak. That was all I knew. It wasn''t until after he died and I saw his videos playing that I saw the influence he had on not just Justin but Beyonce and others too.

Re: The Michael Jackson influence on Justin Timberlake (Justified)

~Sasha
This is pretty accurate for that time. MadTV were mean but their skits told the truth...

Re: The Michael Jackson influence on Justin Timberlake (Justified)

Yeah. It was the falsetto, clothes and moves that Justin straight up stole from Michael. He's eased up a lot since then, though. He slowly developed his own sound more and more with each album. He even uses the falsetto a lot less now.

But I didn't complain. Like I said in the blog, Justin, the Neptunes and Timbaland resurrected that old-school Michael Jackson/Rod Temperton/Quincy Jones sound from Off The Wall and Thriller. I am a big fan of this sound. Justified was the 2002 version of Off The Wall. Not as good, of course. But it captured that melodic funky sound, right down to the lush grooves and crying falsetto vocals.

Re: The Michael Jackson influence on Justin Timberlake (Justified)

~Dirty Diana
Sunflower_7494 wrote

Michael was never a pedo. But that is what the media wanted you to think of him as. Your generation will never understand just how HUGE Michael Jackson was when we were kids. We'll never see a phenomenon like that again.

Re: The Michael Jackson influence on Justin Timberlake (Justified)

Sunflower_7494
~Dirty Diana wrote
Michael was never a pedo. But that is what the media wanted you to think of him as. Your generation will never understand just how HUGE Michael Jackson was when we were kids. We'll never see a phenomenon like that again.
I can only guess. I hear a lot about Elvis Presley being a huge icon too, the biggest. All I can do is watch youtube! lol.
But Beyonce has been a real big star my whole life. I'm not a big fan but she's always been THE star.

I saw Leaving Neverland. Michael might have been a great dancer but we can't let that blind us from the monster he was from within. He groomed those kids. It's sick. I am not a fan of MJ but he was talented. I'll give him that.

I saw the Bodyguard with Whitney Houston and I fell in love with her voice. I knew her name but not much about her. I heard she was a megastar too. After she died I saw The Bodyguard and was blown away. So I do envy you "old" people. You got to see her in her prime.

Re: The Michael Jackson influence on Justin Timberlake (Justified)

Sunflower_7494 wrote
I saw Leaving Neverland. Michael might have been a great dancer but we can't let that blind us from the monster he was from within. He groomed those kids. It's sick. I am not a fan of MJ but he was talented. I'll give him that.
I can already see where this thread is going. I started this thread to discuss Michael's influence on Justin. The molestation allegations have nothing to do with that. It's a totally different topic. If you'd like, open up a thread on Leaving Neverland in the "Real Life" forum. I'd like to keep this thread on topic.

I'm almost 34, so I remember Michael's heyday really well. Moonwalker, the Oprah interview, The Dangerous tour, the world premiere of Black or White, Remember The Time, Scream, etc.  He was undoubtedly the biggest star in the world during my youth.

I remember Whitney Houston, Mariah Carey, Evander Holyfield, Tiger Woods, Michael Jordan, Mike Tyson, MC Hammer, Boyz II Men, TLC, The Spice Girls  and others having huge surges of popularity as well. Those were good times. In my opinion the athletes and musicians were better then than they are today.

Re: The Michael Jackson influence on Justin Timberlake (Justified)

Funkchick1981
~Dirty Diana wrote
Oh Jason Malachi is absolutely the worst. You'd swear you were really listening to Michael.
You realise this is Michael Jackson, correct?

Re: The Michael Jackson influence on Justin Timberlake (Justified)

~Dirty Diana
Administrator
Funkchick1981 wrote

You realise this is Michael Jackson, correct?
Not Michael. That's Jason Malachi, a Michael soundalike.

Of course this is Michael Jackson. You don't know that voice? It just sounds like something more modern. Maybe an unreleased song from the 2000s or something.

Re: The Michael Jackson influence on Justin Timberlake (Justified)

~Dirty Diana
Administrator
Meet Jason Malachi.

Re: The Michael Jackson influence on Justin Timberlake (Justified)

Funkchick1981
This was a great laugh. A white boi lip synching to what I guess is an unreleased Michael Jackson song. It's the jam though. Pretty funky!

Re: The Michael Jackson influence on Justin Timberlake (Justified)

Michael
Funkchick1981 wrote
This was a great laugh. A white boi lip synching to what I guess is an unreleased Michael Jackson song. It's the jam though. Pretty funky!
That's a song from Jason's debut album from 2007, I think. He's a real singer. When he first came out, radio stations thought his songs were Michael. He confused a lot of people.

Re: The Michael Jackson influence on Justin Timberlake (Justified)

Funkchick1981
Michael wrote

I don't believe it. No one can sound that much like a person. Even when The Weeknd and Timberlake copy Michael, you can tell it's not him. In his prime Michael Jackson was one of those absolutely amazing singers that could never be copied. You can't copy Michael. You can't copy Whitney Houston either. I grew up with this music and saw these people in their primes. I know what I'm talkin about.

Re: The Michael Jackson influence on Justin Timberlake (Justified)

Funkchick1981 wrote
I don't believe it. No one can sound that much like a person. Even when The Weeknd and Timberlake copy Michael, you can tell it's not him. In his prime Michael Jackson was one of those absolutely amazing singers that could never be copied. You can't copy Michael. You can't copy Whitney Houston either. I grew up with this music and saw these people in their primes. I know what I'm talkin about.
This is 100% live in acapella. That's his voice..

Re: The Michael Jackson influence on Justin Timberlake (Justified)

Funkchick1981
Oh. My. Gawd!  I don't believe it. That's incredible. Justin and the Weeknd sound nothing like Michael compared to him. That is talent right there. I'm listening to some of his other songs now on youtube. They're hit or miss. I like his song Bigger man and Tell It Like It Is. Oh, gawd he sounds so much like my baby.

Jason sounds a lot like Michael but you can hear the differences if you listen close enough. I actually like a lot of his songs though. They have MJ flavor, and he sounds so much like him! It's almost like having new Michael JAckson music. When I first heard Jason's songs I was mighty confused too!

Re: The Michael Jackson influence on Justin Timberlake (Justified)

Sunflower_7494
I'd never heard of Jason Malachi either but he sounds spot on like Michael. Wow. Wow indeed.

To go back to the Justin comparisons, I see now how Justin used to dress like Michael with the fedora and the gloves and everything. To be fair I don't think he's a better dancer than Michael but he is a better singer.

Re: The Michael Jackson influence on Justin Timberlake (Justified)

Sunflower_7494 wrote
 To be fair I don't think he's a better dancer than Michael but he is a better singer.

Overall, Justin is not a better singer than Michael, in my opinion. However, I do like Justin's falsetto better.

Justin took that one element of Michael's style and expanded on it. Michael used his falsetto in spurts, but Justin uses it exclusively as a lead vocal (especially on Justified).

Michael can do a lot more with his voice than Justin, but I think Justin's falsetto is smoother. My opinion.