Thoughts on the Ruiz-Joshua rematch?

I had it wrong. The way AJ went out last time, I thought he was psychologically shattered. But yesterday he exposed Ruiz as another Buster Douglas.

So far I think Wilder is the best on the scene but he’s way, way too cocky. I smell an upset in the future.

Re: Thoughts on the Ruiz-Joshua rematch?

Will69
AJ followed the standard formula that Lewis and Rahman used against Tua.  STFA from a big puncher.  It was nice to see Ruiz punch during a clinch - you rarely see that.  But, I don't think there was anything Ruiz could do against a much taller fighter like AJ, other than charge into Joshua kamikaze-style.  Even though Ruiz had great hand speed for a big guy, he doesn't have the leg speed to move himself fast enough to find an opening into AJ like Mike Tyson could sometimes do in his prime.

I've also given up analyzing whether AJ is a great fighter or not.  It doesn't matter.  All that matters is what he is like against the current opponents at the time.

One thing I do like about the current boxing videos is that they are really clear!  I'm used to the lower-resolution and often poorer quality videos of the 80s and 90s.

Re: Thoughts on the Ruiz-Joshua rematch?

Yes! HD is a beautiful thang. It almost feels like you’re in the ring with them

Re: Thoughts on the Ruiz-Joshua rematch?

redfeng007
This post was updated on .
Joshua already lost by TKO in their first fight.

His rematch is only win by points.

That isn't impressive at all.

Lennox Lewis KO Rahman in their rematch after he got KO in their first fight.

That is a great Champion.

If Joshua has lost by decision in their first fight.

Then it is acceptable.

Buster actually knockout Tyson, which is alot better than Joshua's victory against Ruiz.

AJ should change a better manager to get the big fights against Wilder and Tyson Fury.

If he has lost to high ranking Tyson Fury or Wilder that time,  it will not be as bad as this Ruiz's upset loss.

Re: Thoughts on the Ruiz-Joshua rematch?

Will69 wrote
I've also given up analyzing whether AJ is a great fighter or not.  It doesn't matter.  All that matters is what he is like against the current opponents at the time.
I hesitate to call any of the top guys great. It's too soon.

Go back and see what sports writers were saying about legends as they fought. NO ONE was calling Marciano an all-time great until well after retirement. Dempsey, Louis, and Johnson were regularly ranked ahead of him.

Muhammad Ali didn't begin to get his props until after retirement too. When he fought he was exciting but people weren't putting him at the top of their ATG lists yet.

People HATED Jack Johnson. But after his death, he was re-evaluated and given his just due.

Riddick Bowe was praised prematurely as the "new breed" of heavyweight when he won the title, but we saw how that turned out. He blew it. You have to wait until a person is retired and see what comes after him to establish how good he really was..

Re: Thoughts on the Ruiz-Joshua rematch?

redfeng007
Lennox Lewis's career path vs Anthony Joshua's career path.

https://youtu.be/MpDpKgyeejs

Even Lennox Lewis said AJ should be fighting Wilder or Tyson Fury to prove how good he really is.