Was Doug Funnie mentally ill? (article)

I wrote this a few months ago. Looking back, you can clearly see that he showed all of the classic signs of mental illness. Read the article and let me know what you think. Then vote.

http://www.ajdugger.net/blog/does-doug-funnie-suffer-from-bipolar-disorder

Was Doug mentally ill?

Re: Was Doug Funnie mentally ill? (article)

Damita Jo
Whoa, A.J. I hadn't a clue. I just viewed his life as being full of the anxiety of your average 12 year old boy. You got pretty deep here, and it all adds up. He definitely had intense anxiety of some sort.

What you said about Roger was spot on. He actually liked Doug, but Doug was too full of paranoia to see it. And I didn't realize that Patti liked Doug!! Looking back you were so right about all of this. Doug's mind was a creative but unhealthy place especially as far as Roger was concerned. I wonder if this was done on purpose? If Nickelodeon was trying to tell us something?

Re: Was Doug Funnie mentally ill? (article)

Double A
All of this, all of it is true. AJ You NAILED this! He constantly escaped reality and always predicted bad things to happen. I have no doubt that he had anxiety and manic depression. I think zooloft would help him chill out.

Re: Was Doug Funnie mentally ill? (article)

Sivul
A great read, and I was laughing to the point of tears when you said Doug wouldn't pick up on Patti's sexual hints and she'd instead give it up to another guy and Doug would be pissed! The funniest thing about this scenario is that it would likely happen. lol. Patti had feelings for Doug too. I hadn't realized it until you pointed that out. The writers made this subtle when i look back on it.

Re: Was Doug Funnie mentally ill? (article)

Rachel
Oh no!  Like you said, it takes one to know one. I have bipolar and it's awful! I know how Doug feels. No wonder I could relate to him so well when I was little watching that show.

I always have this sense of dread as if something bad is going to happen. I always assume that people don't like me or are out to get me. I tend to focus on the negative things. Even if eerything goes perfect my mind will focus on the one teeny teeny thing that went wrong.

It sucks. Its something I cannot help. And it's horrible to live with.

Re: Was Doug Funnie mentally ill? (article)

Hit Em' Hard
Speaking of Doug, anyone here the full version of the Smash Adams theme with the vocals?

Re: Was Doug Funnie mentally ill? (article)

^^THAT is hilarious! I forgot the singer's name but he was really going for it, soaring into the falsetto and all! And the lyrics re so dumb.

"He got a 'B' in P.E." Hahahaha!!!

Rachel wrote
Oh no!  Like you said, it takes one to know one. I have bipolar and it's awful! I know how Doug feels. No wonder I could relate to him so well when I was little watching that show.

I always have this sense of dread as if something bad is going to happen. I always assume that people don't like me or are out to get me. I tend to focus on the negative things. Even if eerything goes perfect my mind will focus on the one teeny teeny thing that went wrong.

It sucks. Its something I cannot help. And it's horrible to live with.
Tell me about it. One day you're on top of the world. Nothing can stop you. You have non-stop surges of creativity. Then weeks later, you're almost at the suicidal level. The nightmares show up before you even sleep.

What do you take? And what "chill pill" would you recommend to Doug as medication?

Re: Was Doug Funnie mentally ill? (article)

Double A
 You hit on a good point about his journal too. So you feel that the  journal that Doug used in every episode was a way of helping him cope with his weird behavior? Perhaps, his parents gave him that journal because they knew that he was acting odd? Let's not forget that one episode where Doug lost his journal and started freaking out about it.

Re: Was Doug Funnie mentally ill? (article)

RICKY TAN
Duggerman wrote

I wrote this a few months ago. Looking back, you can clearly see that he showed all of the classic signs of mental illness. Read the article and let me know what you think. Then vote.

http://www.ajdugger.net/blog/does-doug-funnie-suffer-from-bipolar-disorder
Of course the boy was mentally insane. I actually have an even darker theory.

Mr. Dink was a child molestor who MOLESTED Doug. Yeah, I went there.

Re: Was Doug Funnie mentally ill? (article)

Double A
RICKY TAN wrote

Mr. Dink was a child molestor who MOLESTED Doug. Yeah, I went there.
That's crazy talk. Mr. Dink isn't a child predator but rather a parent who lost a child and maybe won a major law suit which is why he's able to afford "very expensive" items. Mrs. Dink if you notice is always in a down mood from possibly say alcoholism or drugs.  She lost a child and they both use Doug as a coping mechanism.

A "dink" is an acronym for Dual Income, No Kids. It's implied that they couldn't conceive, so they take an interest in Doug and the scouts as a way to fill that void.

At least that's what I think. Doug was Mr. Dink's best friend, which is kind of sad. Both characters are sad, really.

Re: Was Doug Funnie mentally ill? (article)

FRANK GRIMES
Ok, first of all it’s a cartoon. Second of all, the boy just had a fun imagination! That’s all! 😆. AJ I read the article and everything you said was true. I can’t argue with the facts. But I think Doug was just more insecure and gullible than most and liked to lose himself in fantasy sometimes. That’s all. No harm, no foul.

RICKY TAN wrote
Mr. Dink was a child molestor who MOLESTED Doug. Yeah, I went there.
 See now it’s getting BEYOND crazy up in here. Ok. Ricky. Ricky Tan. You look like a loser. Not only that, man, but Mr. Dink is just a lonely old man. His wife doesn’t seem to be much fun and always throwing shade at the brother and aside from her he has no friends, ok?

Doug is his neighbor and is a kid. Kids are more easy to impress so Mr Dink likes to show off his new gizmos to Doug. 🤦🏾‍♂️ These internet theories, I swear.

Re: Was Doug Funnie mentally ill? (article)

"The Golden Jet” wrote
Ok. Ricky. Ricky Tan. You look like a loser.
You didn’t have to call the man a loser! 😆😆😆😆

Re: Was Doug Funnie mentally ill? (article)

FRANK GRIMES
Duggerman wrote
You didn’t have to call the man a loser! 😆😆😆😆
Ricky Tan think he special. He ain’t special!

But back to Doug’s a$$. Look at this photo. Look at this photo.
Doug can’t even afford a decent superhero costume in his own damn fantasy! What? Double face palm on that sh.it. 🤦🏾‍♂️🤦🏾‍♂️

And look at the homoerotic undertones in the picture. Roger got on sissy makeup and eye shadow while Doug is blushing and preparing to bend over for the “gray surrender.”

And I don’t even wanna THINK about what their gonna do to Porkchop...

Re: Was Doug Funnie mentally ill? (article)

Katie G.
The Golden Jet wrote
Ricky Tan think he special. He ain’t special!

But back to Doug’s a$$. Look at this photo. Look at this photo.
Doug can’t even afford a decent superhero costume in his own damn fantasy! What? Double face palm on that sh.it. 🤦🏾‍♂️🤦🏾‍♂️

And look at the homoerotic undertones in the picture. Roger got on sissy makeup and eye shadow while Doug is blushing and preparing to bend over for the “gray surrender.”

And I don’t even wanna THINK about what their gonna do to Porkchop...
I don't know you, but you're funny as hell man! lol. Nice to have you here.

Poor Doug. AJ's blog reminded me a lot of how vulnerable and anxious Doug could be at times. Or all the time, actually. He needs therapy and medication but his journal is a great outlet for him. If he lost that, he'd lose his mind. Oh wait that actually happened! lol

Re: Was Doug Funnie mentally ill? (article)

Maximillian
I just saw him as a stupid and insecure kid. (shrugs)

Ya'll trying to diagnose the man and give him meds and everything! AND ya'll got him getting molested by Mr. Dink!!!!

Re: Was Doug Funnie mentally ill? (article)

Malik Wright
Maximillian wrote
I just saw him as a stupid and insecure kid. (shrugs)
Stupid, immature and MOLESTED, rookie!!! Not only that but I think Mr. Dink gave his a$$ some drugs to make him hallucinate all the time.
Malik El Debarge Wright

Re: Was Doug Funnie mentally ill? (article)

Y’all crazy. Like, seriously. 😆