What did Tua do BETTER than Tyson?

South Pacific
So many people say Tua was a poor man's version of Tyson. I admit that Tyson was more technically sound (especially when he was with Rooney and Cus) but was there anything Tua did better than Mike? Stylewise? Surely he had the edge over Tyson in some category, yes?

Re: What did Tua do BETTER than Tyson?

Tyson moved his head to avoid punches as he came in. Tua preferred to parry them with his right hand.

Tyson threw his punches so tight...this created more explosive impact and provided more leverage for him but also made him more prone to accidentally throwing elbows when his punches missed. Tua never had that problem.

Re: What did Tua do BETTER than Tyson?

Evolution
The peekaboo is a very flawed style. It's not something I recommend using.

In my opinion Dave didn't do anything better than Mike.  For all its hard hitting glory, you always knew when Dave's left hook was coming because he would dip right before he launched it. But even knowing that, it was hard to escape entirely because the left hook is a punch you can throw without opening yourself up too much. It's the safest power punch to throw.  David didn't dip much before attacking the body but he almost always dipped before throwing the left hook haymakers he was famous for.

Mike also knew how to slip a jab well during his prime years. Dave never learned how to avoid a jab. Duggerman you are right that he was able parry but if you notice this didn't work out for him when he fought the really talented guys like Lewis, Bryd, Ibeabuchi, or even Rahman.

Re: What did Tua do BETTER than Tyson?

Evan Fields
Tua had less predictable combinations. Mike generally nailed you with the following -

Right hook to the ribs, left hook smash to the head.

Left jab, then a left hook

Right to the body, right uppercut to the chin

Those were his favorite combinations. Smart fighters knew what was coming and avoided them.

But Tua? You never knew what he was gonna throw at any given time.

He also had much better stamina than Mike. Mike faded during his long fights. Tua sometimes got stronger, or had enough left to pull off a surprise late knockout to save his ass. Mike could never do that.

Would be interesting to see these two fight. It's a tough one to call, but the one thing I know for sure is that if Tua makes it past round 5 it doesn't look good for Tyson.

Re: What did Tua do BETTER than Tyson?

Hit Em' Hard
Obviously Tua's left hook was better.

Re: What did Tua do BETTER than Tyson?

Joe Kingman
Administrator
Hit Em' Hard wrote
Obviously Tua's left hook was better.
I don’t think it was BETTER. It was just the only punch he threw well. Tyson had an arsenal. Tua was only a left hook. This caused him problems when he fought the top guys like Lewis and Byrd....even Rahman!

-Joe Kingman

Re: What did Tua do BETTER than Tyson?

redfeng007
A great fight we never get to see.

It will not go a distance.

Someone is going to get Knockout.

https://youtu.be/j7BeeiU4u-I

If Rocky Marciano lives longer, he may be training David Tua's to fight like him.

Stamina is David Tua's best weapon.