Would Stephen Glass Get Away With It Today? (article)

Would Stephen Glass Get Away With It Today? (article)

Think about it; would the fiction writer posing as a journalist be able to dupe his editors and readers today using social media? Explore the possibilities in this piece. Also included is a super, super rare clip of Stephen's appearance on C Spann a month before he was fired, and an interview with Chuck Lane just after Stephen was fired at the height of the scandal.

http://www.ajdugger.net/blog/would-stephen-glass-get-away-with-it-today
Would Stephen be able to pull off those lies today?

Re: Would Stephen Glass Get Away With It Today? (article)

J.C.
I think social media would help but in the end Chuck Lane would catch him anyway. He had a massive boner for checking and firing our poor Steve...

Re: Would Stephen Glass Get Away With It Today? (article)

J.C. wrote
I think social media would help but in the end Chuck Lane would catch him anyway. He had a massive boner for checking and firing our poor Steve...
I partially agree. Like I said in the article, if he had fake FB accounts, for example, these "people" could respond to messages if anyone got suspicious. I'm sure he'd steal the identities of people online to use as these people. As a matter of fact, he did that in his novel, The Fabulist. He stole a picture of an adult film star to pose as the "lawyer" he quoted in his article.

If he invented Jukt Micronics today, all he'd have to do is start a business page on FB and buy followers to give them a fan base. And boom! You've got a big-time company.

Re: Would Stephen Glass Get Away With It Today? (article)

Phantom Punch
Duggerman wrote

Think about it; would the fiction writer posing as a journalist be able to dupe his editors and readers today using social media? Explore the possibilities in this piece. Also included is a super, super rare clip of Stephen's appearance on C Spann a month before he was fired, and an interview with Chuck Lane just after Stephen was fired at the height of the scandal.

http://www.ajdugger.net/blog/would-stephen-glass-get-away-with-it-today
Wow. I can tell he aged. That's the first recent picture of him I've seen. Makes sense though considering his New Republic scandal happened 22 years ago now.

I enjoyed your blog. I'll never forget watching Shattered Glass in high school. "Are you mad at me?" lol.

I voted no. I think it would still raise suspicion if he tried using social media to create businesses and people. You ever see the show Catfish on MTV? Neve and his partner find people using fake profiles all the time. Adam Penenburg and Chuck Lane were great journalists and they would uncover the lies, just as they did when it actually happened.

Re: Would Stephen Glass Get Away With It Today? (article)

It's Dale
I vaguely remembered this scandal until I read your blog. I think he would take full advantage of social media. The kid was a wunderkind. A genius and creative con man. Too bad he used his creativity for evil. He should have been a screenwriter or novelist instead .

It’s irony he tried to be a lawyer. They lie all the time so it’d be a perfect fit for Mr. Glass

Re: Would Stephen Glass Get Away With It Today? (article)

FRANK GRIMES
J.C. wrote
He had a massive boner for checking and firing our poor Steve...

Re: Would Stephen Glass Get Away With It Today? (article)

Guys! Adam Penenburg (who famously played a HUGE role in busting Stephen Glass) just tweeted me about this article!! 🤗🤗

Re: Would Stephen Glass Get Away With It Today? (article)

Becky
That’s great, AJ! Penenberg is a legend. I’m proud of you!

Re: Would Stephen Glass Get Away With It Today? (article)

FRANK GRIMES
Becky wrote
That’s great, AJ! Penenberg is a legend. I’m proud of you!
You got AJ sittin up in here like...

Re: Would Stephen Glass Get Away With It Today? (article)

The Golden Jet wrote
You got AJ sittin up in here like...
Pretty much! 😆 Adam made history. If he hadn’t caught on to Steve’s fabrications there’s no telling how much longer he would have got away with it! Which begs the question...if Adam was never born or was working another job or for whatever reason was not there to catch Steve, how long does Stephen get away with this? He got under Michael Kelly’s radar and was doing the same under Chuck Lane’s watch as well. That is, until Adam caught on to him.

Re: Would Stephen Glass Get Away With It Today? (article)

J.C.
This is somewhat related to Steve Glass but not really. Anyone read the story about the pastor who was eaten by crocodiles while trying to walk on water like Jesus?

https://dailypost.ng/2017/05/13/pastor-eaten-crocodiles-trying-walk-water-like-jesus/

Re: Would Stephen Glass Get Away With It Today? (article)

It’s a fabrication. Sounds like something Steve would have written. I always thought this story sounded too hilarious to be true, especially the quotes about his underwear floating on the water. 😆

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/pastor-eaten-by-crocodiles/

Re: Would Stephen Glass Get Away With It Today? (article)

Phantom Punch
I watched Steve’s 60 Minutes interview. I can understand why he did what he did to an extent. He said he was working on a story and needed “the perfect quote” to complete it. He created one. The story became a hit..then he started doing it more and more until it became like a drug. That’s why his stories became so entertaining.

I took a journalism class in college and there were boring interviews and sometimes I really wanted to “Glass it up” in some articles but I never did. Good thing I didn’t!

Re: Would Stephen Glass Get Away With It Today? (article)

Zorro
Duggerman wrote

He kept upping the ante higher and higher. If he hadn't said that Jukt was a "bigtime software company" and instead said that they were a small business that was shutting down around the time the article was published, he might not have gotten caught. Or it at least would not have looked as suspicious. His stories became so outragoues to the point where someone would inevitably get suspiscious an catch him, maybe even someone on his own staff.

Re: Would Stephen Glass Get Away With It Today? (article)

Phantom Punch
Maybe I’m missing something, but don’t all journalists record their interviews? Wouldn’t it be suspicious for him not be able to hand over the recordings for proof? 🤔

Re: Would Stephen Glass Get Away With It Today? (article)

Entaowed
He could, easier if he was more moderate in his stories & careful about handling investigations.
But the more tales he told & the more outlandish, the more likely he would be caught.
Unless it is an obviously fake publication or something like pro wrestling, this should really be condemned & the writer ostracized until he repents & makes amends.

It does real journalists a huge disservice, & it is unfair to gaslight the public like that.

Re: Would Stephen Glass Get Away With It Today? (article)

Phantom Punch wrote
Maybe I’m missing something, but don’t all journalists record their interviews? Wouldn’t it be suspicious for him not be able to hand over the recordings for proof? 🤔
That's a damn good point! I wish I'd thought of that! He invented all of the notes in the world except for the interview recordings! lol.

The taped interviews should have been the first thing Chuck Lane asked for.

Stephen did fake email interviews, however, saying that he only spoke to Ian Restil and the others online. Maybe that's why Lane didn't push him for recordings?

Re: Would Stephen Glass Get Away With It Today? (article)

Becky

Phantom Punch wrote
Maybe I’m missing something, but don’t all journalists record their interviews? Wouldn’t it be suspicious for him not be able to hand over the recordings for proof? 🤔
Duggerman wrote
That's a damn good point! I wish I'd thought of that! He invented all of the notes in the world except for the interview recordings! lol.

The taped interviews should have been the first thing Chuck Lane asked for.

Stephen did fake email interviews, however, saying that he only spoke to Ian Restil and the others online. Maybe that's why Lane didn't push him for recordings?
Washington Laws may have protected him. As far as  I know you can't record anyone without their consent. And if his "sources" did not want to be recorded, he couldn't do it. I'm sure he used that excuse and relied instead on written notes, emails, faxes, etc.

The lack of pictures and voice recordings made it so easy for Stephen to slip through the cracks.

Re: Would Stephen Glass Get Away With It Today? (article)

Phantom Punch
I was also intrigued by the relationship between Steve and Michael Kelley. Was Michael too nice and relaxed? I mean he was more likeable than Chuck Lane but should he have paid more attention to Steve’s work instead of defending him? 🤔

Re: Would Stephen Glass Get Away With It Today? (article)

FRANK GRIMES

Re: Would Stephen Glass Get Away With It Today? (article)

Phantom Punch wrote
I was also intrigued by the relationship between Steve and Michael Kelley. Was Michael too nice and relaxed? I mean he was more likeable than Chuck Lane but should he have paid more attention to Steve’s work instead of defending him? 🤔

Steve was duping editors before Michael Kelly even became editor. He worked as a fact checker so he knew the flaws in the system and took full advantage of them.

There has to be trust between writer and editor. Michael trusted Steve, but still protected himself by calling and verifying the mini-fridge anecdote in Steve’s “Spring Breakdown” piece. I think he believed Steve but was just making absolute sure. Everything would fall on him if the information was false.

Chuck Lane trusted Steve, too. Granted, I sensed some jealousy from Lane, especially before he became editor. But despite that, Lane gave Steve many chances to validate the story. But the more Steve lied, the worse it got.